bb7 is looking for a Manager of New Product Innovation to work with one of our consumer products clients based in a western suburb of Chicago. This is a direct-hire position with bb7’s client.
The Manager of New Product Innovation is responsible for coordinating and managing the new product development initiatives as well as promoting innovation through exploration, research and customer input. Also defining new growth opportunities within current product lines as well as new market opportunities not currently being served by the company.
In this position, the person will collaborate with the VP of Engineering, Director of Marketing, and Manager of Engineering to maintain the vision and goals of the company through strategy, project management, resource allocation, and decision making. This person will work closely with the Director of Engineering to coordinate internal and external resources, including establishing development schedules and financial performance goals.
- Manage the product development process to achieve commercial viability of designs through collaboration with marketing, engineering, purchasing, manufacturing, and quality departments
- Promote innovation through research (ethnographic, focus groups, retailer visits, competitive reviews, etc.) to identify needs and wants of the consumer and translate them into design requirements and briefs
- Lead the product management team in these activities to develop the “right” product for the organization
- Create design briefs and act as the voice of design in the product development team, making sure that the project is developed from idea all the way to commercialization, respecting the highest standards of quality, product value, and time to market
- Take ideas generated from marketing and sales and apply his or her experience in developing new products to expand the ideas into additional concepts. This will be accomplished by utilizing new processes, materials, and accomplished manufacturing methods.
- Identify new products within each product category to fill gaps and market voids
- Understand trends
- Evaluate unmet customer and market needs
- Occasionally meet and present new concepts with sales and marketing at retail buyer meetings to identify opportunities and features
- Coordinate with the VP of Engineering to determine the sourcing strategy that supports the company’s strategic and product requirements
- Develop prototypes that follow the specific design to meet the companies needs
- Create and manage budgets as well as produce accurate product requirements and ensure they are maintained throughout the development process
- Coordinate and lead product team meetings
- Deliver regular team performance metrics to management
- Stay informed of new technology, methods, and materials for this position
- Support and comply with all safety policies, quality standards, and housekeeping methods at all times
- Note – this position has supervisory responsibilities for industrial design, product design, and model shop/prototyping
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, marketing, communication, or business preferred. Experience or training in manufacturing methods is required. MBA is preferred.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Excellent PC sills with all MS Office programs. This position requires the ability to work with graphics programs. In addition, the employee must have expert computer-based research skills
bb7 and its Clients are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. We participate in E-Verify.